View Single Post
Old 03-17-08, 09:06 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
This might be a stupid question but what's wrong with outside? Even if you live in an apartment with no access a spigot, a trip to the carwash or even a bucket of water has to be a better option.
The only place I have to store my bike is the living room. I hose it off in the shower so that it doesn't drip slush, salt and mud on the living room floor.

All the car washes around here are the automatic, stay-in-the-car-and-ride-through kind. Even if there were any hose-it-yourself car washes around, the bike would be filthy again by the time I rode it home through the slush, salt and mud. And of course, I'd have to deal retro-grouches here yelling about high-pressure water and bearings and whatnot. Besides, my shower is free.

As for carrying buckets of water down the fire escape in winter? You're welcome to stand outside well below freezing in the howling wind and get all wet washing and drying a bike. And you can deal with my landlord, pissed-off neighbors, lawyer and insurance agent when all that water freezes on the sidewalk and people slip and fall.

It's not for me, but thanks for the suggestions.