View Single Post
Old 09-23-04, 09:51 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
..I pop tires so infrequently and they are so cheap it isn't worth the effort imo.
You can get 10 tubes for $17.00, relatively cheap. Half of my ride buds do this.

I still patch my tubes. I use the patches and glue made for cycling and never had a problem with the patches. I believe the key is proper preparation of the tube. Here's a quick list:

1. Find hole and rough up the area with the sandpaper (usually provided in the kit). Make sure the prepared area is bigger than the patch. I usually go about 1.5 times the diameter of the patch, or maybe 1/2 an inch bigger than the patch all the way around.

2. Place a thin layer of cement onto the prepared area.

3. Let the glue dry (a few minutes - it'll turn a different sheen and don't touch it)

4. Peel the backing from the patch and place patch over hole - ensure patch lies completely with the prepared and cemented areas.

5. Press patch firmly and "massage" with your fingers.

6. You're done (also check the inside of the tire to make sure the offending thorn/nail is not still there).

I believe the vulcanizing fluid is the same for bicycle and automotive type. However, the patches that you typically get at an automotive store are thicker and don't have feathered ends. Bicycle patches are typically thinner and the edges feather so it provides a smooth transition from patch to tube.