View Single Post
Old 03-18-08, 04:11 AM
IanS

Bikes: Trek T2000, Cannondale RT2, Orbit, 1970x Peugeot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first set of Bontrager's went 1500 miles before developing an annoying grinding noise which turned out to be the spokes rubbing on the outer edge of the flange as the wheel/frame flexed under high load. Made worse as it resonnated throgh the frame. I think it would have helped if the high flange was slightly angle in which would reduce the angle between the spokes. Anyway, ignored it for another 5,500 miles before a spoke finally went, and then the pawls went another coup[le hundred miles later. I sent it back to Trek saying I'd only had it about 20 months but they said it had been well used and wouldn't replace it which I kind of understand. A little annoying though if their warrentee is 5 years?

Apart from that, the wheel was bullet proof. The roads around me are shocking and we hit plenty of nasty pot holes. Combined weight around 160 kg too. Amazing for a 24 spoke wheel in my view.

I managed to pick a new set of the Bontragers up cheap after a little research suggested that out of them and the Rolf, the Race Lites seem to have fewer problems and better post sales service.

Cheers