View Single Post
Old 03-20-08, 07:19 PM
scruffyboy
Mature Cyclist

Location: About as far south as one can get in the continental U.S.

Bikes: Bianchi Milano Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah yes... Touring again

I've been reading the various threads with great interest. I've toured some in the distant past, I've worked in a bike shop, commuted by bike, am currently using a bike as my main transportation. Admittedly, not such a great feat in Key West, heck, the island is flat and only 1.5X4 miles. I am seriously considering becoming a nomadic/semi-permanent cyclist. What with the price of fuel going up almost weekly, I can't see dumping all that ca$h into a gas tank just to go faster and further every day. The 1982 VW Westfalia "other" vehicle is becoming a less and less attractive option for traveling. Besides, it's about the journey not the destination.

Couple of things that come from my experience(s); With bicycles, you generally get what you pay for. You spend more... You get more. Spend as much as you can afford and make sure it FITS! Same generally holds true for racks and panniers and other gear. BUT... Check out the forums here and else where. Find out what WORKS! What's proven, and what's just plain trash.
I've been surprised how many times the mo$t expen$ive bit of gear turned out to be total crap in the "real" world and the cheapie "dollar" store unit turned out to be a real workhorse.
Try to keep in mind that it really is about the journey, not JUST the destination.