Old 03-21-08, 09:55 PM
Platy

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
...the boy got a liitle concerned and decided to ride his bike to school rather than have his parents drive him. However, he didn't want to bring his heavy backback with him on the bike, so he had his mother drop it off at school later in her SUV...
Maybe the student was experimenting with bike commuting. When I start to do something new & challenging, I first focus what I call the "fundamental confidence building step". That is the key scary thing you have to accomplish. Once you've done that, no matter how ineptly, everything else is simply a matter of refinement. People often avoid the terror of confronting the fundamental confidence building step by getting distracted with side issues such as optimal equipment, preparation or ever expanding analysis.

I'd give the student points for going right to the heart of the matter and actually accomplishing a couple of bike rides to school and back. He's stored away that success in his mind. Next time he thinks about bike commuting, he'll approach it with confidence. And more than likely he'll be larger and stronger, easily able to haul a back pack. So my opinion is the young man succeeded, he did not fail in any way.