Old 03-22-08, 12:33 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rach_elm
Hi, I'm new. I hope this is in the right section, I wasn't sure.

I'd like to start cycling for fitness. I'd be riding on cycle paths and roads several times a week. I'm a 16yo girl and although I can ride a bike fine I haven't owned one for years so I don't know what to look for or how much it will cost.

Thanks for your help.
Welcome, and thanks for your question.

There are people on these forums who can help quite a bit, and they would like to help -- I hope I can say something helpful as well -- but it would help both you and us if you could give a bit more information to go on.

Money: If you want to stay low or very low in cost, there are ways to do it.

If cost is no object, there are other bikes that people would point you toward.

There are bikes for each price level.

You can literally find good bikes for almost nothing, if you know how (try posting about this on the Classic and Vintage (sub-)forum here on bikeforums.net, and you will learn a lot).

You can find good bikes for 100, 200, 400, 1000, 3000, and 7000 dollars (and even more), and everything in between.

For what you describe, you don't really need an expensive bike.

It also depends on how much you want to get into it. If you are willing to take classes, or have an interest in learning these things, you can find out how to work on bikes. It isn't that hard, if you are interested and find some decent teachers, books, or websites.

If you just want a reliable ride, and want to forget about mechanics, there are bikes for that.

Some bikes are a blast to ride. If you value that (or think you might), I would recommend test riding a wide variety of bikes, and finding something that really sends you. Most people (probably 99% or more of bike riders) never in their entire lives have the experience of riding a bike that fits them like a glove and is a joy to ride. Rolf at Hostel Shoppe can talk with you about this if you are interested.

Personally, I think it is worth seeking out such a bike. At least you'll have experienced it and will know what is possible, and whether or not this is something that you really want.

The difference is like night and day. Some bikes are exhilarating to ride. It's like finding exactly the right clothes. It lifts your experience of riding to another level.

Some of the underseat steering (USS) recumbents are great fun for some people. It's worth at least giving them a try.

There are other bikes that have a great and truly exhilarating ride as well.

It is very individual, subjective, and experiential; and you really have to go out and find what works for you as an individual, and ride them.

Bike shops and their employees vary tremendously in how much they can help, and in what directions they will steer you.

Above all, go with a bike that YOUlike, in your own experience.

Don't go with what other people like, or tell you you should like, or what they think is best -- go with your own experience.

You're the one who is going to be spending many hours on the bike, not them.

Also, if you find a bike that you really enjoy riding, it won't be a chore to get out (exercising) on it. You will look forward to it, and actually enjoy it; and the exercise will be natural rather than forced.

Fitness will come naturally. Your time won't be wasted on mediocre riding experiences. Time and youth are valuable -- why not spend them doing things you really love?

Last edited by Niles H.; 03-22-08 at 12:42 PM.