Old 03-23-08, 04:45 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
When it gets down to about 38, I basically don't ride. I can't get enough air.
As someone who lives in a place with lots of cold weather, one way to reduce the loss of heat through breathing is to keep the lower half of the face covered, the scarf or face covering will trap much of the exhaled heat, and use it to pre-warm incoming air, it also reduces the amount of exposed skin. When riding, you almost need a "winter" helmet,. To get a winter helmet, get a cheap helmet, without a lot of vent holes, some foam rubber, and the handy man's secret weapon - duct tape. Now fill the vent holes with the foam rubber, and cover that with the duct tape, if you want, for aesthetics, just cover the whole helmet, with the tape, You can also use hockey tape, which is also very strong and probably looks better, add a couple of strips of the retro-reflective tape, they use on big trucks, which you should be able to find at an automotive store. You want it in red and white, put white on the front, and red on the back. This will help when riding at night, something that you often have to do, to ride in the winter.

Oh, well I have to go get ready for church, the Son-rise service is at 8!