Old 09-25-04, 07:35 PM
sydney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 24601
Working on an older bike here (peugot mtb). I pulled the stock BB that is basically 2 open face bearing cages and a square taper shaft. I would like to replace this with a sealed cartridge type bb. I was hoping to replace just the BB, but I am having trouble finding one this size. It is a 68x133, but is threaded. I did not measure the threaded portion, of course. 68x110 or 113 seem to be more popular, and also all the ones I see use crank bolts instead of a nut to hold the crank on.

So, I was thinking if I could find a reasonable price replacement set, crank and bb, I might do that. I am completely stupid though on knowing what size BB I can use with what crankset. Or does it matter, or what? Basically at this point I am lost.

I should mention, this is a single speed conversion that has gotten out of hand. I knew I shouldn't have taken the whole thing apart!!!

Thanks for any help.
It's an old nut type spindle.You sure you just measured end of taper to end of taper? I have never heard of a 133. If you use something shorter,the chainrings will interfeer with the chainstays. You are best off buying a crankset where you know what BB spindle length it takes,otherwise it can be trial and erroe finding the right one. Unlees someone knows what the crank takes.