Old 03-23-08, 07:33 PM
Snuffleupagus
Aut Vincere Aut Mori

Bikes: Irish Cycles Tir na Nog, Jack Kane Team Racing, Fuji Aloha 1.0, GT Karakoram, Motobecane Fly Team

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ifox
I did it! I survived Copperopolis

My goal for this race was to get out there, ride well and complete the race. This was my first time racing over there. I read all sort of scary stories about how bad are the roads and sure enough, the roads were horrible (also I heard after race that this year they are better and there was some re-pavement efforts).

Cat5s started on time and the group in front started charging and burning matches before we even get to the feed zone.
I stayed with the front group until the major climb begun and then decided to drop -- I estimated that with the effort we were going I wouldn't be able to finish the race.

After that it was pretty much solo effort. I shared some pulls with another Cat5 at the beginning of the second lap but than I rolled away from him on the climb. My third lap was absolutely horrible: my legs were cramping like hell. Yet I found some strength to keep going and finished the race.

I'm not sure about my placement, though. I finished alone and separated from the main group (or whatever left of main group). So, I guess I'll wait for the official results.
Good on you for giving it a go...and I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but getting dropped should never be a choice. I always have to fight the negative self talk going on in my brain (you suck, you're slow, they're all faster, why did you even show up...blah blah blah) as do most other racers. If someone's going to ride away from me, it's going to be because they really are better. I'm not giving them sh*t

The thing is...if you just keep digging until you think you're going to pop, and keep going you may just be able to sit in the pack and wait it out. If you're on par with other racers in general, if you're hurting, so is everyone else. This is one occasion in a race where I like the power meter, when I look down and I'm putting out 500+ watts up a hill, I know the guys up front are laying it down, and probably won't keep it up for too much longer, so if I can just man up and keep going the pain will soon subside. Or at least diminish.