View Single Post
Old 03-24-08, 09:51 AM
LetterRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
There's a lot of hypocrisy out there, but I would advise most folks on this forum to be careful about throwing the first stone. For myself, I run around on my bike all year, cut down on my household CO2 emissions, then take a plane trip to Mexico... which negates all the preceding. And before you rant on my case, please remember that there are a lot of ways for a North American to be hypocritical. So there!
In no way is it realistic to expect people to completely eliminate all harmful actions from their lives. I certainly can't. But as previously mentioned, at least we are doing something.
A little light-hearted stone throwing does no harm and I'd venture to say that not much would be accomplished without someone willing to toss a few stones. Which is why these situations are so paradoxical. Gore, Travolta, Cameron, etc are, without a doubt making people stop and think about their actions and motivating them to change their lifestyles, even if in the slightest ways. But then these, seemingly, double-standards come to light and makes people think, "well, if he doesn't do blahblahblah...". But regardless, people are aware of the possibility of a personal action-reaction.
But you must see the hilarity in the situation. The man is riding a bike to set a good example and show that it can be done easily enough, but completely negates the message with the trailing driver. Hilarious! He probably has his reasons, but I'm thinking that it might have been a better idea to keep the car a bit less obvious by not forcing it the wrong way down a one way street. Right? And, by all means, stone away if I'm caught doing something that silly.