Old 03-25-08, 08:01 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jodi-townie
Wow, thank you everyone for all of the advice on RA, brakes (hey, I spelt it correctly, lol) and tricycles.

I am pleased to see that others with RA have had great success with riding. George, hey, I would think that I was really doing something if I went 6 miles as well.....but 70 miles....wow. 15 or 20 miles is also great, I would be very happy with that. I am inspired, thank you.

2manybikes, thanks for the info regarding brakes. So, it sounds like the hand brakes work more effectively than foot brakes. Actually, I was kind of hoping to buy a bike and then not have to upgrade it in a year. The Townie bikes are not cheap, especially since they are imported to Australia from the USA, and so I was hoping to buy one and then keep it for many years. hmmmmm. I wonder if I should just fix up the mountain bike (new tyres) and get going on that and give it a year or so before I decide what to get. Although, I kind of had my heart set on a Townie.

Hey Tom, yes, good to stay mobile....although, until now it really wasn't easy. I wasn't able to stand for more than 5 minutes without being terribly stiff until I started my new medicine about 9 months ago. Now I can be on my feet for a few hours. It has made a huge difference. Now I really do feel like I could ride again, but need to gradually build my muscles up. I tried Ibuprofen once and had some heart flutters....not 100% certain it was the Ibuprofen but haven't been game to try it again.

Wogster, It is quite flat around here, except for one place that it might be nice to ride to when I can manage the distance. That has a hill at the end of the ride and nice views, kangaroos and scenery. The bike with the foot brake also has a hand break for the front wheel, but it is only a 3 speed bike. The 8 speed bikes have hand brakes. There is a 21 speed Townie, but I was looking at the internal hubs for lower maintenance. Also thinking that I would not use 21 gears? I am likely to choose a few favorite gears and just switch between them. I had not considered a tricycle before. I will keep it in mind, but want to see if I can manage a 2 wheel bike. So, if 2 wheels fails I will look into it.

Tom, thanks for the pics of your wife's Delta Trike, I must say that it looks mighty comfortable. I am hoping to be able to ride a 2 wheel bike, but will consider the tricycle if I don't feel right on 2 wheels.

unixpro, glad to hear that a recumbent has helped you. I am yet to try a Townie, but just from reviews, it sounds like it will be ideal for me. It is designed so as to be able to put your feet down flat on the ground when stopped. I think that either way I go, tricycle or 2 wheel bike, I will have to practice getting on and off. At least, I can choose a ladies bike and put one leg over the middle. Mens road bikes do look high and scary to me.

Well, I will keep going on my exercise bike and build my leg muscles up some more. I can't wait to get outside and ride though. Would I be better off dusting the cobwebs off the mountain bike and replacing the tyres on that and giving it a go before deciding on another bike. Maybe that sounds like what I should do. It has V-brakes which would allow me to give them a go and then I could decide if they would be O.K or if I really would prefer the foot break but with less (3) gears.

Thank you everyone,
Jodi
Someone you might want to talk to are the folks at Greenspeed , they are in Australia, and might be able to rig something up for you. The Nsxus Inter-8 (8 speed) is available with a coaster brake the model number is SG-BC22 (in North America at least), from the Shimano catalogue I have, combine that with a hand operated disc brake on the front, put the lever on the side that has the better/less painful hand, and you should be good to go. I have no problem riding a 2 wheel, but looking at the link above, for long distance rides, some of those 3 wheelers look really nice and comfy, not cheap though.