Old 09-26-04, 07:18 PM
CindySue48

Bikes: none yet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie looking for advice

Hi I'm Cindy. I'm 50 yrs old and recently been trying to increase my exercise and improve my diet.

I am interested in taking up cycliing. I've not been on a bike in 30+ years, except for a 2 min ride on my daughter's bike 10 years ago!

I've always loved to ride, so I'm figuring that it will be an enjoyable form of exercise now.

I really need some advice on what to buy and where to buy it.

Money is very tight, I really shouldn't be spending ANY money on a bike, so the cheaper the better.

I figure initally I'll be riding in my neighborhood....then later going to one of the parks to ride the trails.

I'm fairly tall (5'8") and long legged, so I know I have to go to a bike shop to find out the best size bike for me. I'm figuring a 26". I've never ridden a bike with gears, so I'd also like some help with that!

What I'd like to do is get an inexpensive bike that I can get comfortable with, then upgrade in a year or so to something better (more expensive).

I have back trouble, and I can't have a bike where I'm hunched over too much. What I'd like is one that I can either sit fairly upright or hunch ovver. Right now I have a stationary bike and find that every 5 min or so I have to change or my back hurts. The way this is set up I can either hold the handlebar grips, meaning I'm sitting fairly upright, or grab the lower part of the handlebar itslef, and I'm hunched over some.

I live in Durham/Chapel Hill area of NC. Anyone from the area have any advice on where to go for a good, inexpensive bike? Right now my plans are to go to Walmart and get one there for around $100. With helmet, etc I think that's about all I can afford. Anyone have better oprions?

Also...is there anyway to tell in advance how comfy a seat will be long-term?