View Single Post
Old 03-27-08, 10:46 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brake-Fork and Headset-Fork Questions

Okay, a couple of what should be pretty simple questions regarding my current build:

First off, a headset installation question. The headset is a Cane Creek S-2 1" headset. When installing the compression ring (part 5 in the diagram below) onto the steerer tube, it does not slide down far enough for the top lip of the ring to make contact with the top surface of the upper cartridge bearing (part 6). It seems as though the diameter of the steerer tube is just slightly big enough to expand the compression ring so that it won't slide down completely.

Is this normal or not? I have Cane Creek headsets on two other bikes, and on each of those the compression ring slides loosely all the way down so that the lip of the ring meets the upper bearing.

The fork is a Reynolds Ouzo Pro with a carbon steerer. Here's the diagram from Cane Creek, with notations by me.....

And question two: I'm installing an Ultegra SL brake on this fork (Reynolds Ouzo Pro). Reynolds includes a brake nut with the fork. The brake nut from Reynolds is longer than the brake nut included on the Ultegra brake caliper. Which nut should I use?

I would guess that I should use the nut from Reynolds, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks in advance for any advice I may receive.