View Single Post
Old 03-28-08, 09:25 AM
Warren128

Bikes: 87 Raleigh 531C Team Replica, 96 Litespeed Classic, 01 Lemond Tete-De-Course, 99 Mongoose RX10.9, 03 Lemond Wayzata, 00 Litespeed Appalachian, 99 Bianchi XL Boron, 98 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 26 Posts
Will this drivetrain combo work?

Hi Folks,

I'm mulling over my options for a frame build-up.

I recently acquired a modern frame (w/ 130mm rear spacing). Actually, it's Brian's (Urbanknight) 1996 vintage Litespeed Classic frame (a real beauty, BTW), and I'm anxious to get it out on the road rather than take forever finding parts for it. Unfortunately, my newest parts are from the late 80's.

Rather than use my old bike's wheelset, I'm thinking about buying a more modern wheelset.

So, will my late-80's vintage Shimano 600EX SIS, 7 spd derailleurs work with a modern 9/10 speed rear setup? Front will be the old Shimano 600 double Biopace crankset. I plan to use my old brakeset and aero levers (I like the simple and elegant look of single purpose brake levers). I would like to continue to use DT shifters. Can my 600EX dt shifters be switched to friction mode? If not, I wouldn't mind buying newer dt shifters, maybe the Dura Ace ones? BTW, I've been using DT shifters for over 35 years, no need for me to change now (go ahead, call me a retro-grouch ).

Another option would be to respace my old rear wheel (7spd freewheel) to 130mm and go with that. And fyi, all my old components are still in good shape and have lots of miles of use left in them.

Or, I can forget using the old stuff and just build it up with the latest and greatest, but I'm cheap, I like the old gear, and I don't have deep pockets so it will take time to find component deals.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks in Advance,

Warren