Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by LifeIsSuffering
One of the posters in this thread stated she takes calcium supplements for bone health - and she's the one that is more of a whole-food diet fan. Just goes to show that each of us has individual needs and supplements are a useful tool for just that - to supplement a sensible diet.

Actually, the Dr. has recommended she take them ... but she hasn't started yet. She has trouble taking pills, on several levels.

However, I wanted to make a couple other points:

1) Instead of a thread just listing the things we take, I'd much rather see a thread listing the things we take and WHY we take them. Is it just because we saw an ad on TV or in a magazine for "magic beans" which promise all sorts of wonderful things? Or are we taking these things for real, defineable reasons? Can we back up why we take these things?

2) I am a fan of real food ... I'd rather not take any supplements at all. But I did mention the possibility of taking calcium for my bones because of my lactose intolerance and long distance cycling. However, I also know that weight bearing exercises do as much or more for my bones as calcium does. So, although I have not started taking calcium yet ... I do walk 15 kms a week with a heavy backpack.

I know studies indicate I should be taking Vit D ... but I also know that the sun provides Vit D, so every opportunity I get, I'm outside. For several years now I've ended up living outside for anywhere from 1 to 3 months a year ... cycling and camping. And, of course, my long distance cycling has me on the bicycle from sun up to sun set and sometimes longer than that. Even in the middle of winter, I'm out as much as I can be ... walking that 15 kms a week, or doing other winter sports, or just being outside.

So not only do I prefer to get my vitamins and minerals etc. through food, I also prefer to get them, or the benefits of them, through other, more natural, means as well.