Old 03-28-08, 12:36 PM
folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarr
Hate to throw this bomb into the thread, but Wal-Mart and other superduper stores usually have sub $200 bikes. Sure, they're crap, but that's what you're going to get for that price, even if it comes from a dedicated bike store.

Right now part of the problem with cycling adoption is that it's not yet "worth it" for most people. Even a lot of totally broke people I know have huge televisions or fancy cells and stuff. Cheaper bikes aren't going to lead to more adoption in my opinion. If people on a budget really want to bike, they do.

The thing that would bring out more new cyclists at least in urban centers is reducing the risk AND the theft rate. Risk reduction can be done by advocating better bike lanes and traffic management, and of course cyclist education. The theft rate is a more tricky proposition; we need new technologies that make bike theft a risky and expensive enterprise. Like a lojack or something. Because as it stands bike theft is easy, low risk, and profitable.

Anyway tl;dr Inexpensive bikes in my 'pinion are already on the market and don't serve to forward anyone's agenda (including bike store profits).
Originally Posted by wahoonc
There is a huge difference between "inexpensive" bikes and cheap bikes.

IMHO there are many suitable inexpensive bikes on the market, but they are hard to find and are not sold at every retail outlet. KHS Green is one that comes to mind (but I have yet to see one or even find out how much they sell for.) Walmart was selling a 3 speed for $120, but it is NLA. It was inexpensive, and border line on cheap.

Marketing plays a huge part in it. In America, in particular, it seems that appearances are everything. People want something that looks the part, whether it works or not. Walmart has made a huge fortune off of that very principle. Until people are willing to vote with their dollars and not just buy what is pushed on them it will continue.

As far as an LBS selling them, first you have to get the customers in there to buy them. Then you have overhead to deal with. You can make a better profit selling 3 high end bikes vs 3 cheap bikes. Then there is the public perception of the LBS..."they only sell expensive stuff" (justifiable in many cases). We own a bridal shop. People are convinced that anything we sell is probably overpriced. They seem to think that only the best prices come from big box stores. In reality it doesn't work that way most of the time, but try to change that mindset.

Aaron
I look at it in another way. People in North America have been carefully conditioned to be "bargain shoppers" by the advertising media for many, many years. Big box stores like Target, Wal-Mart and K-Mart have nice gleaming bikes all lined up ready to go out the door at just a very low price. The bike shops are generally not as large, and have similar (but not the same) looking bikes for more money. What do you think the average joe or josephine would do? Go for the cheapo one of course. Never mind that the thing never works right. He/she will just hang it up in the garage or shed after 1 or 2 tries or attempts in the name of "exercise" or "weight reduction." And another bad impulse purchase pushed out of sight and out of mind. Until education and luck can shift the general population to better choices and purchases, more bike shops will be doomed just like the department store bikes.