Old 03-29-08, 05:07 PM
Platy

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Random Rider
When i am one my seat i can only touch the ground with both my toes.
Sounds normal for most bikes. Think about it. If your leg is fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke, to reach the ground while you're on the seat your leg will have to be a few inches beyond fully extended. Your basic options are

(1) (A stay on the seat option) Lean the bike when you stop and stand on one leg

(2) (Another stay on the seat option) Look for curbs and stones to put your foot on when you stop

(3) (Still another stay on the seat option) Use a so called crank forward bike. You pedal in sort of a half reclining position but when you stop you can put both feet straight down onto the ground

(4) (A come off the seat option) Dismount forward off the seat and stand over the top frame tube when you stop the bike. This is why people always recommend to select a bike with a couple inches of standover clearance. You can't always do it if you're short legged. Some bike frames give more standover clearance than others.

(5) (Another dismount option) Fully dismount at a stop.

I think the right frame size is whatever is comfortable for you. Most people can follow the usual fitting recommendations. Some can't. I think the people who can't follow the usual bike guidelines are already aware from previous life experience that they have out of the ordinary body geometries.