Old 03-29-08, 08:00 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by coldfeet
As far as used bikes are concerned in your LBS, think about this. If they take in a trade in and re-sell it, they are on the hook for any liability. The manufacturer won't back them up. They would have check it over thoroughly, and give it a full service. If they did that and added the cost to the trade-in price, how much could they sell it for?
Excellent prices at my LBS. I have purchased a couple of used bikes from them. The last was a 2003 Staiger 27 speed, fully loaded (fenders, racks, generator hub, etc) German trekking bike. The bike sold new for over $700, I paid around $175 It came fully tuned and ready to ride, it also came with a free 30 day tuneup and a 6 month limited warranty. If it was a used bike that they sold new it typically comes with a one year limited warranty. Just recently I looked at an early 2001 steel hardtail Trek MTB, IIRC it sold for around $125, tune up, a new tire on the back and again the limited warranty. They are a pretty high volume dealer and I suspect that they figure on eating at least some of the cost of the used bike warranties in the name of good customer service. But a if the bike is a decent quality to begin with there shouldn't be any major warranty issues.

Edit: I forgot about the Raleigh Companion Tandem we bought and haven't picked up yet. Paid $400 for that one it came with a new rear wheel. Don't recall what they sold for new but probably around $800.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon