Old 03-30-08, 10:38 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, you're being jerkish. Your wife made an effort to spend time with you doing something you love...so who cares how fast and far you go, enjoy the time spent riding with your wife, not getting all ticked because you couldn't show off your cycling prowess to your friends and a bunch of strangers.

I understand that you wanted to zip along with your friends and complete the ride, but hey, looks like nobody completed the ride...stuff happens, the best laid plans of mice and men and all that. You might have not kept up or finished due to a million other reasons too, mechanicals, crashes, whatever...in this case it was because your wife wanted to spend time with you...I'll take that over a crash any day! Think about it, what is more important to you, spending time with friends or spending time with your wife!

When Cheri rides with me I know that we're not going to hang with the faster groups that I could normally hang with on my own. Oh freakin well, when she's with me I am riding with her, which means we keep to a pace that is comfortable for her so she can enjoy herself, not one that designed to punish her because she has the gall to want to ride with me and prevent me from stroking my own ego by showing off how fast I am.

I'm not trying to flame you or judge you...hey it's your life. I'd just like to suggest that you take a few moments to think about what is really important in your life - something we all tend to loose sight of from time to time when we get 'into' some sport or hobby or career.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey