View Single Post
Old 03-30-08, 02:11 PM
Halthane

Bikes: 2001 Giant OCR w/105-10spd, Schwinn High-Plains Built for Commute plus 3 Others in Various Stages of Rebuild/Repair

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jodi-townie
Another question is about the tires. The Townie bikes come with either semi-slick 26"x2.0", semi-slick 700Cx38C and puncture resistant versions of these on the commuter versions. Are the 700C tires taller as well as thinner? I have been leaning towards the 26"x2.0" ones. Any opinions?
Those tires will be approximately the same in width as 38mm is about 1.80 inches. The 700c will be slightly larger in diamter (the wheel as a whole will be slightly taller) but not dramatically. I personally prefer 700c wheels as they tend to be slightly faster. As for puncture resistance, it is largely a personal thing, standard tires tend to run a little faster, a little smoother, and a slightly lighter than their puncture resistant cousins. However if you have diminished hand strength I could see the puncture resistant versions being worth having as changing a tire on the road can take a good bit of grip strength.