Old 03-30-08, 08:56 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
How to "fold" your Sears Tote-Cycle

Okay, the Sears ToteCycle isn't technichally a folding bike. But it does break in half, and, if you have the right pieces, the two halves can be rejoined on a more compact form. Also the Tote-Cycle is 30+ years old, so if this moved from the folding forum to Classic and Vintage, that'd be okay by me. I'm just posting this because when I first saw the bike, it was in the compact form, but when I took it home, it was assembled in the rideable bike form, and it took some playing and some e-mails to the previous owner before I could get it back to the compact state. I couldn't find a single picture or mention of there actually being a compact state for this bike, so maybe this will help someone out. Of course after combing the internet, I only found a half dozen Tote Cycles, so this probably won't help many people out.

Step 1. Clean your apartment, so people don't see your trash and unfolded laundry in your pictures.
(I skipped this step)

Step 2. Get yourself a Sears Tote-Cycle.

Step 3. Get the extra pieces required to hold the bike together in the "folded" position.

Step 4. Remove the seat.

Step 5. Loosen and turn handle bars.

Step 6. Split the bike by removing the two bolts at the joining plate.

Step 7. Attach "U" shaped joining piece to the connection plate of the front half of the bike. Use the same bolts that were originally holding the bike together.

Step 8. Slip the other half of the "U" piece into the seat post and tighten in place.

Step 9. The remaining two pieces clip on to the tires to keep them at the right distance apart.

And you're done. Now you can easily take your folded bicycle with you anywhere. Provided you have a nice roomy trunk or a pick up truck, and maybe a truss. Truth be told it's not that much smaller after this process, but I do find that once I've compacted it, I can fit it under the table in the spare room. But I would certainly not make a habit of it unless it was going to be stored for a while. But that's the plan for this bike: It'll live under the table or in my trunk and come out when I'm away from home and want to take a spin.

(attachments are repeats of the images used, in case my links break at some point in the future)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1110.JPG (65.7 KB, 60 views)
IMG_1111.JPG (62.2 KB, 57 views)
IMG_1115.JPG (75.9 KB, 62 views)
IMG_1117.JPG (76.7 KB, 61 views)
IMG_1121.JPG (73.8 KB, 57 views)