Old 03-31-08, 04:18 PM
girljen
Nerd

Bikes: K2 T-9 Crosswind

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a hybrid bike and have a three-mile commute. How I ride depends on the time of day. I am never without my helmet, reflective gear, cell phone (in the trunk bag), or bell.

Commute in the dark
(usually the ride home from work at 0500)

I have to ride on the streets, because the greenbelt (MUP) is closed. The streets in question are 52nd Avenue, a two-lane road with a bike path and light traffic; a few residential streets; and the I-70 south service road, which has NO shoulder and is pretty scary. I cross a six-lane state highway.

I act like a vehicle. I take the lane, obey all traffic signals, use hand signals for turns, and try to be as predictable as possible.

I am a shining beacon of reflectivity with my construction-style reflective vest, reflective arm band, reflective leg band, reflective stickers on my helmet and my bike, LED headlight and taillight...I'm still stocking up on lights; when I am 'fully equipped', I'll have lights on all my bags, and possibly a few extras on my person.

Commute in the sun
(this is usually my ride to work at 1600 for a 1700 on-air time)

I get to take the greenbelt, yay! Riding on an MUP is kind of like driving emergent in an ambulance. Signal to pass; some people will pull to the right, others will just stop in the middle of the path. Use due caution.