Old 04-03-08, 09:07 PM
Idioteque

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
You learn it over time, but its basically about being persistant and opportunistic. When a slight gaps opens insinuate your way in. When others are attentive for a second that's your opportunity.

You don't have to bump people out of the way, but when a gap opens, they've got to know, you're not going to be intimidated from filling it.

Also when the race slows down just a touch, its a good time to hammer for just a bit and move up multiple places.

A tactic I like is when the race slows just a bit, I'll go up one side all the way to the front, and then just sit next to the 3rd or 4th rider, and wait for them to let just a little gap open,and then I move in. If they really contest me for the spot, I'll pick on the next guy.

Anticipate the accelerations out of turns, and be faster out of the corner.
good points, actually i feel like i've been doing that and been sitting on top of large packs fairly well. I was just reading a carmichael link someone posted and he was talking about efficiently moving INSIDE of the group and i just could not imagine it all that well. Guess it is, as you said, something that comes with experience...