Old 04-04-08, 12:43 AM
rmwun54

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I learn how to work on a bike by buying a Bianchi road bike, one that was intended to be easily torn apart and put back together. I started with a few parts at a time so that it allowed me the time to purchase the neccessary tools for each procedure and the chance to ask questions from those who are or were knowlegeable about this endeavor. I read bicycling articles on maintenance and sometimes learn from watching LBS working on one of my bikes when I couldn't fix the problem I was having. After 15 years of doing this I then began to assemble my first bike by lacing my own rims and installing all the parts from ground zero. I now have built three bikes from acquiring the frames and parts independantly and I love it, I have also built 11 rims by now: some for road, some for mtb, some for cyclocross, and some for touring. By assembling my own bike I have learned a lot about the value of keeping a bike tuned at all times. And I now have extended my experiences to helping those who have need of my skillful hands and creative problem solving. It sounds easy and it is if you have the desire and patience to tinker with a bike. That's my two cents. rwun