View Single Post
Old 04-04-08, 08:45 AM
dwood
Keeping A Low Profile

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Sport [1998], Dahon Speed P8 2007, 1994 Diamond Back Ascent and a couple of Schwinn Stingrays [one boys, one girls] from circa 1977.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganboyjosh
i want to learn to weld. the options for taking a class around me are not that great.

[snip]

i know from reading about the dangers of electrocution, and fumes...
You will definitely be ahead of the game if you get some professional instruction. This can be in a school setting or just some help from a friendly local welding shop.

The only danger from electrocution exists on the primary [supply] side of the welder [120 or 220v]. And this danger exists with anything you 'plug in'.

Welding machines are required to keep the OCV [open circuit voltage, i.e. the voltage between the welding rod, or mig wire, or tungsten electrode and ground] below 80 volts. Even though you are dealing with amperages as high as several hundred amps, the voltage is not high enough to 'push' it through your body. Therefore there is no lethal danger from the OCV. You might feel a tingle here and there but unless you are simply afraid of the 'buzz' . . . there is no problem.

Learning both oxy-acetylene and arc/TIG/MIG are valuable skills to possess.