Old 04-05-08, 12:40 AM
trek830

Bikes: Trek 830 18" frame => Mavic X517 ceramic rims | XT RD | XTR FD | LX Canti's | SRAM Atacck shifters | SRAM SG850 11-30 Casette | Vetta Transverse AT saddle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trying to get back in the saddle, after years of absence. Need some help

Well I finally got around to rebuilding my 93 Trek 830 last weekend, I haven't been in the saddle in years. My saddle well quit old, it has very low miles and in excellent shape, Vetta AT Transverse.

My problem is I'm getting very sore very quick, I have followed Bicycletutor's video, and looked at several other seat setup instructions. After just a few minutes on the saddle my sit bones are getting extremely sore. Should I try another saddle or just push on and see if the pain goes away? I've gone about 20 miles since getting the bike running.

I don't have any cycling specific shorts, as I have very sensitive skin and find a lot of synthetic materials irritate my skin (itching, rashes etc..) so I'm not to sure how well a pair of cycling shorts would work. If anyone knows of some cheap but decent shorts I could try that would be great, I would prefer something baggier as I'm 185 right now...

The other problem I'm having is I have no stamina what so ever, right now I been trying to push my mountain bike down paved paths with 2.0 smoke/dart tires so I'm sure that doesn't help any. I get about 2 miles and feel like I'm going to die lol. In my off time I been trying to stay remotely active, going on daily walks.

Diet wise, I consume little to no fat, I drink at least a gallon of water a day, I try to consume mostly complex carbs (pasta, plain bagels etc..) no soda, no junk food and try to avoid excess sugar, but I still consume it in small quantities.

I really don't have the money to swap out a bunch of stuff at once, I'm just not sure where to start improving. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated