DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CindySue48
Thanks to both of you.

I guess putting off the purchase for a few months so I can afford a better bike would be the way to go? Ah well, I don't like going to Walmart anyway! LOL

I will check out the other forums. I looked a bit on the 50s forum lasst time I was here, but just glanced at most of the posts.

DnvrFox....are those prices you quoted for new? how much can I hope to save on used? 10%? 50%? I think $300 might be doable in the spring, just not right now!

Thanks again!
They wouild be the prices for an entry level new bike.

It would be assembled properly, would have decent quality brakes and other componenets, is available in a variety of frame sizes (typically Wal-Mart and others have only 1 or 2 frame sizes) and generally the shop will give you a free adjustment or two after you buy it (new cables stretch and need to be readjusted).

As far as used, expect about 40% off, but this is highly variable dependent upon the dealer, inventory, etc.

You may even get away with less than $300 on a sale. Remember, at a minimum, you need a water bottle holder or two and some water botles as accessories. Beyond that, you can add whatever accessories, biking clothes, etc., you might want. These might include a pump, spare tube, patch kit and some energy food. Most folks have some sort of a "wedge" on the back of the bike for "stuff."

However, it is perfectly ok to ride a bike in some loose shorts and a shirt and even carry the water in a backpack. You can have a perfectly decent ride at little additional cost.

Why don't you go to a few "Local Bike Shops" and see what they have. It is fun and you learn a lot.

Good luck!