View Single Post
Old 04-07-08, 10:50 PM
billbass

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Location, location, location.

Here is an observation. Your location dictates to a large degree what type of bike you'll likely be attracted to. On Cape Cod Ma., it's hilly, windy, long stretches of ROAD, as in road bike.I WILL be riding my road bike this summer!! I love going fast ,and a roadbike is pretty effortless, and quick.I'll be the one on the old "Commie Racer Bike", with my hair on fire.
Fort Myers Fl. on the other hand is an URBAN STREET situation with few, to no hills.Lots of traffic,red lights, stop signs,loose dogs,lunatic rednecks in pickup trucks, curbs, sewer grates,clueless pedestrians, and sometimes you just gotta use the sidewalk, or die (I know, I know). Anything faster than say 18 or so M.P.H., is just not safe here.I put a set of 700/28 Ultra Gatorskin slicks on for a little more speed, but still...Cars darting out from behind shrubbed corners, running stop signs etc.Down here, my hybrid a.k.a. URBAN STREET bike comes into it's own. The front shock actually is really nice after a while, and the heads up position is just safer.I actually have my bars down fairly low, but it's still better to have your head up around here. It doesn't like the headwinds, and that's about the only problem I can find.I wish it were 5 lb's lighter sometimes, but it's not a perfect world, or a perfect bike. I am a closet weight weenie! Most times I ride at around 14, 17 M.P.H. in town. I think the hybrid is a great option for a lot of people, and especially in an urban area. It's also a great way to get...Ignored by fixters on hipsties!! (just kidding)Ride what works for ya!
Billbass