Old 04-08-08, 11:45 AM
bellweatherman

Bikes: Too many to count

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rustguard
A small piece of angle iron would be one way (remember to always use soft jaws to clamp threads). Or even just clamp your forks low down in a vice and rest something a little less than half the diameter of the forks in the groove above the threaded area, a small peice of rod sat in the edge will keep it sitting at 90 degrees.
When undertaking a project you have 2 choices, tool up for production or improvise with what you have. If you want to do a decent job of this you need some tooling, like a good size vice, otherwise it is just bush mechanics. If you take your time, concentrate and do a basic setup you can do a good job. A file is just a cutting tool but powered by your arm instead of an engine.

Ive been taught to file flat and square to 0.02 of a millimeter and I have the papers to prove it

Ahhh! Angle iron! Nice tip. Thanks. So, without trying to sound clueless about this... Why not just file off the little tab on the washer instead of filing a new notch on the steerer? I've never even questioned what the notch and washer are for anyway. I guess for ease of headset adjustment, right?