Old 04-09-08, 06:54 PM
VeloVeg
Savor the journey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
As best I can determine, the most direct route is via Yosemite. My best guess is that it's at least 400 miles from SF to Death Valley. At 60-65 miles a day (which is pretty good for touring), that's 7 days.

As to the "wisdom," I think that depends strictly on your abilities and comfort level in the desert. If you feel good about it, and you have the legs to get there, then it seems wise enough to me.

How about hanging out in Yosemite for a bit?
The most direct route from SF to Death Valley IS via Yosemite and the Tioga Pass Road. That is a beautiful climb through the Sierra. There is just one wrench in the cogs--the passes over the Sierra (in that area) aren't open in April. That would make an awesome loop, with a return route perhaps via Hwy 58. But it won't work this time of year.

You could create a loop by going down the coast hwy to Morro Bay and turn east on 41 to 101 south (for just a few miles) and pick up hwy 58 east all the way to Mojave. (Alternate: if Hwy 178 out of Bakersfield is open around Lake Isabella, and I suspect that it is, it's a beautiful road over to 395--some traffic on weekends).

For diversion on the return to SF, you might try 33 north (pick it up west of Bakersfield and I-5), then to 198 west to 25 north (you'll cycle past the Pinnacles Nat. Mon.--stop in, the hiking is great!) up to Hollister. This return route is really nice in the spring. From Hollister you can select the best way back to SF for you.

Just some thoughts.

Safe journey,