Old 10-01-04, 01:58 PM
sapolin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahem, a shy newbie from Montreal (Quebec)

Hello

I'm from Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and I'm a 41 years old male, weighting 135 lbs being 5' 6" tall. "D'ins tits pots les meilleurs onguents", as the old french canadian saying has it (roughly translated:"In the smallest countainers come the best ointments").. :-))

I stumbled across this forum looking for info to identify my new (used) road bike (it is sorta pale ... no... "celeste" green...).

I'm new to the road bike "trip", but I'm not a new cyclist. Years ago, I used to commute on a cheap mountain bike, and I loved it, but it became way too big to keep inside the appartment (and way too heavy to bring up to the third floor each time I was back from a casual ride). So I sold it.

Five years just passed along, I kept doing other activities to keep in shape (my current job, massage therapist, keeps me up and at it on that front). But I MISSED the endorphin kick after the ride, the sun, the air flow and the general sense of freedom, very badly. So I began to look for a lighter road bike in the used bike market (I just CANNOT AFFORD the new ones, though I still drool at the mere sight of them).

I almost found it by accident in a garage sale, $ 35 CDN, a bit of dirt here and there, ripped stickers and a bit of peeled paint, but in excellent condition overall (I tried it over there, and I was ... impressed !). It was Chrismas time for me in the middle of a hot september day, I was just jumping up and down like a happy toddler.

Yes, for those who did not understand the cue, it's a 12 speed Bianchi.

I need yor help to identify it well. Approximate year of production, was it could cost today, and what I should bring in as mechanical improvements... so I try to put in as much info as possible, and to the conoisseur, some may be useless, so forgive me in advance...

1- On right side of the frame, the ripped sticker finishes with d'Italia, in a pinkish tint of red (was it Giro or Campione ? I don't know...)

2- On the descending tube of the frame, the sticker reads clearly: Tre Tubi Rinforzati, Formula Two, Bianchi, (stylized dove logo), CROMO MOLIBDENI, Produzione Columbus. Down the frame, another sticker goes: Made in Italy.

3- Derailleurs: Campagnolo, no mention of a model.

4- Wheels: Hubs have "Touring" engraved in; 36 "rayons" (in French, "spokes", in English ?), and "Ambrosia 19 extra élite" is written on the rim. Anther sticker says "Durex" on it. The tires are Michelin Sport Select (700 X 20c), and as I could understand by pushing on a deflated one, they are tubeless.

(It seems like they don't exist anymore... Question to the more knowledgeables: what can the actual replacement tires be for those tires, since I so much fear an evil puncture that could ruin my newfound pleasure...).

5- The "pedalier" (in French, sorry, I don't know the name for that) is a StrongLight, and it is supposed to be made in France. Pedals came with original celeste green leather straps and clips, but I just pulled them out for the moment and keep them in a secure place, feeling yet too uneasy to adjust to clips...

6- Brakes: Modelo Mach I

7- General decoration: celeste green tape on the handles, celeste green saddle, neat green brake cable disposition, "Edoardo Bianchi" on the front of the frame, with the black stylized crowned eagle logo (almost looks like a german eagle).

What I intend to do with that bike:

Just to get acquainted with riding on the road, general training, learning the basics of care and maintenance of a fine bicycle. (so, weigth gain by replacement of parts is not an issue yet)

What I'm looking forward to:

Joining a non-competitive ride club in the Montreal region next summer, as soon as I'm familiar enough with the basics. Just the pleasure to roll at even speed in a group, sweat a good sweat and meet friendly people.

So I hope someome will react to that post, and bring in precious info to that newbie.

Sapolin