View Single Post
Old 04-10-08, 08:28 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by unwieldy
I'm looking to get back into biking and I've decided on a cyclocross bike because I want close to road bike speed and performance while at the same time being able to ride on potentially hazardous dirt roads as well as riding in inclement weather and possibly winter. So cyclocross seems to fit the bill. I don't plan on racing, however I would like the ability to throw some 25c slicks on and do some century-ish charity rides comfortably.
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but the above quote caught my eye. My wife and I recently got into cycling and bought Tricross Comps because of the "do it all" concept. We ride a mix of roads and MUPS and are not even in te ball park of racing. We are starting to do longer rides 40-50 miles and will join some tours later this year. I can eventually see doing a century or two. Neither of us have ridden on road tires for more than 25 years. Does swapping out a 25c for the standard 32 make a big difference on long road trips? Even more basic, can you throw the 25 on the same wheel as the 32?