genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by WaltPoutine

Better in what sense? I'd actually completely disagree with you. In order to move this on from pointless "yes it is, not i isn't", the specifics I'd point to are the pinch-point/bulb-outs on Santa Monica Blvd, the doorzone bikelane all through Hollywood, esp. WeHo with not a single attempt to put a control on the frequent intersections. It's worth describing this area for those not familiar with it. It's a very busy road with a lot of cafes, bars and restaurants. S.M.Blvd exiting WeHo and entering Beverley Hills /is/ a stretch which could conceivably have benefited from a bikelane for those who like such things. A bikelane is entirely inappropriate to the urban character of WeHo.

I don't know that I'd claim to be a bonafide vehicular cyclist. I just find that it is more convenient and seems safer to me in nearly all situations to follow the basic traffic rules and that the facilities I've encountered either endanger or inconvenience me. I have done lots of dumb things: ridden inside HGVs, ridden alleycats, ridden on freeways, and ridden on bikepaths. I've learned from experience not to do them. I wouldn't take me as an example of anything other than someone that genuinely has never seen a nice bike facility. (I'll make the exception of the totally closed to traffic roads of Griffith Park, L.A.)
Hey Walt head out to Malibu... right along the northern coast there is a 10 foot wide bike lane that anyone could love.

Yeah I am being a bit sarcastic... apparently this was once part of the old coast hiway and they closed it to cars and now call it a bike lane... 10 feet of pavement (if it has not washed away yet)... a beautiful thing... and no intersections. Indeed a rare find.