Old 04-10-08, 12:01 PM
bizzz111

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metricoclock
In my experience people that call for reforms/high fuel effiecencies/restrictions/etc are usually persons who already have enough disposable income to offset/allow themselves to purchase more efficient means of using fuel/alternative energies.

I've even heard upper middle class persons (unfortunently it was an aunt and uncle) who have more than enough disposable income say that it would just be great if they just raised gas prices artifically to $5 per gallon, then less people will drive. Mind you they have an honda insight and hybrid civic.

The unfortunent side of forced sanctions/regulations/rationing is the effect that it has on the lower socio-economic groups.

Soccer mom doesn't really feel a pinch when gas goes up $.30 per gallon in a day regardless if she is driving her Hummer or Toyota Prius.

Single Mother that is a waitress, she will definently feel the pinch when she is trying to fill up her 5yr old minivan or cavalier. Or really anyone else such as the elderly or persons on fixed incomes.

Tightwad, the way you speak seems to show that you have a living situation that allows you to commute without fuel, majority of the residents of this country do not have that same luxury as you.
people generally don't give a crap if the law doesn't affect them personally.

Government illegally spying on its citizens? Who cares it doesn't affect me!

Ban all trans fats in the city? Great!!! I'm already skinny and I never eat out. Who cares???!!!

Rationing? Great idea!!! I'm carbon positive! screw everyone else!

Bike tax? Whoa now!!! This is an outrage!!! I already pay my taxes!!! Who thought of this stupid idea??? I want someone's head over this!!! Critical mass ahoy!!!