Old 10-01-04, 10:58 PM
namaste1978
Long member...oh wait....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dorf411
The fork mounted cable hanger shown above is horrible on the 01 (Orange) Jamis Nova. I had the same bike and it came stock with that setup and changed it to the cable stop similar to the original poster's setup which is the best bet.

The Jamis design is just piss poor, if you get the fork mount you will have a solid connection to the fork then have rigid cable housing that bumps into your shift cables when you turn your bars. This eventually causes damage to the housing which could affect shifting. At least with the flexible cable as shown in the OP it will move and not damage the shift cables.

I used that as my primary reason to sell my 01 Jamis and buy an new 03 Jamis which uses normal downtube shifter boses as the cable attachment point.
Very good point! Yea, looks like it would interfear with those dumb a%# cable stops. Alright, I take back what I said, don't use that fork mount on your bike! lol
Why anybody would use them on a frame without lugs is beyond me! They used to be up on the headtube like that because they were part of the lower headtube lug. But on a non lugged frame? Why would they do that. Schwinn used to do that on some of their road bikes and actually realized how crappy it was and offered retrofit cable stop barrel adjusters that had a little more clearance.