Thread: routes
View Single Post
Old 04-12-08, 01:16 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
You might be interested in Shoreline Tours, run by the League of Michigan Bicyclists. They have a Lake Huron tour http://www.lmb.org/pages/Events/Shor.../sunrisead.htm as well as others. I provided the first mechanic support for the Shoreline Bike Tours back in the early 90's and it's a fun time, with distance of 20-60 miles per day. You can learn a lot from touring with others, though it does not offer the freedom of solo touring. Their maps may also be available.

When I planned tours for myself I always planned at least part of my route on paved roads that paralleled major highways. They tend to be uncrowded but have easy access to water and food. Even during tourist season that coast of Michigan should be relatively painless to tour.

As for tents I like having a 2 person, but I have a very light one (2.7 lbs). You have to consider what weight and bulk you are willing to put up with during the day in return for a little more room at night.