Thread: Muscle Groups
View Single Post
Old 04-12-08, 02:50 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Only riding for two years so you have just about got bike fit. It does take that long to get the body to adapt to using the muscles in a different way on a bike. Now bike riding will get you fit- and you will find muscles you never realised you had- but there are still muscle groups that should be worked on to improve your fitness.

Don't do it all the time- but when the weather gets a bit bad in the winter- I start going to the gym. Work on the upper body to improve shoulder strenth. Work on the neck as I this can get lazy and also the same on the back. BUT I am a cyclist- of course I have strong legs. So how is it that the young lads made of skin and bone can use the leg machines with heavier weight and do more repititions than I do. They don't ride- and probably the only exercise they get is by going to the gym. Fact is that we can always improve on what we have got and that can be done by doing a different exercise. Ever tried walking on a treadmill at 6mph up the steepest incline it has? It hurts and will soon show you your calves aren't strong enough- Same with the Various leg exercise machines.

So just a suggestion- get down the Gym- Or start walking a couple of miles aday at a fast pace- or use the stairs to get to the 10th floor of your work place instead of the lift. Just try a different exercise routine and see how the riding will improve.

Spike Milligan