Old 04-12-08, 04:08 PM
UtilityBiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Custom Build: Internally Geared Hub with Disc Brakes... Good Idea?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post… I have been a not-quite-daily bike commuter and utility cyclist for a while now and I’ve been making do with an older Trek hybrid that has served me well, but I think it is time for a fun, new custom bike. And I want to get people’s opinions on what I have in mind.

Here is what I have in mind: a custom build with a Soma Double Cross frame, Sturmey-Archer XRK8 disc-compatible internally geared hub, Avid BB7s, Mavic Open Pro rims and probably a Deore disc front hub. As for other components, probably a Sugino single-speed crankset, drop bars, 700c x 35 tires.

I like the idea of internally geared hubs for city/utility riding, and I also like the idea of disc brakes. I’ve never had them before, but I feel like they are the future of cycling and I want to be forward-thinking on this project. I know that both those options are adding a few pounds to a build, but for urban cycling, that isn’t a big concern of mine.

I guess I am looking for thoughts on whether what I want to do is a good idea, feasible, etc. And if not, why not. Am I missing some basic logic that would dictate this to be a bad idea? Anyone else rocking a similar set-up? I know that Specialized has their Centrum line with both internal hubs and discs, but those are not particularly attractive bikes in my opinion. Why aren’t more companies using this build?

Thanks!