Old 04-13-08, 07:52 PM
Rober

Bikes: 1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuterRun
An active smoker is more fit than a sedentary non-smoker.

I moved a couch up two flights of stairs with an overweight non-smoker one time. I thought he was going to have a coronary on me.

Sure smoking is bad. Being overweight is equally bad, and the number of deaths due to obesity are rapidly closing in on the number of deaths attributed to smoking.

This probably applies least to the type of people that tend to frequent this forum, but consider this:
By their choice of unhealthy lifestyle, someone who is overweight doesn't care about themselves, nor the feelings of their loved ones, any more than a smoker.
By their choice of lifestyle, someone who drives a motor vehicle as their primary mode of transportation doesn't care about air pollution (second hand smoke) any more than a smoker.

When these people take an anti-smoking stance they choose to make themselves out to be sanctimonious hypocrites.
Thank you! I quit smoking (a pipe) 15 years ago because I got bored with it and tired of carrying all the pipe "stuff" around. After a while, the enjoyment didn't compensate for the hassle. Even though I am now a non-smoker, I am just over hearing some overweight, inactive scolds nag and nag smokers for "polluting" "their" air. Their fat will cripple them faster and increases health costs, averse social consequences, and the cost of living for all of us. In my opinion, fat is way worse for us than the self-inflicted torture of tobacco use.