somnatash
eight spokes

Bikes: merc, brompton, roadster, cheap every day bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 14R
Based on what you are saying ("go anywhere via bus/plane, with the bike making up for the shorter distances") you might be well served with a Brompton or similar (like the Flamingo bike or merc). 16" wheels are a good compromise of performance, but you do gain the luxury of a light, easy to transport bike once folded.
+1
If I owned only ONE bike and planned to do long distance travel and also a lot multi modal travel...it would be a Brompton (with the emphasis on multi modal travel and trips up to 100km) or a Birdy (with the emphasis on long distance travel). In my opinion, the brompton is the easiest to take anywhere quick and still gives a decent ride.

Originally Posted by 14R
I strongly suggest you to stay away from dynamo lights and get a "real" light system to your bike. It's an investment, but if you check the commuter forums you might learn from other people's experience that it is a really good cost/benefit investment. I learned it the hard way.
Do mean "reelight"? That is a nice innovation but is it bright enough? And on a small wheel bike it sits very low. Car drivers are not used to look that low. Or do you mean battery charged light? I suspect Jhonn does not want to rely on battery's since he even wants to produce his own energy for other stuff. What's wrong with dynohubs?

Concerning trailers: if you own such little like you said and don't have to carry heavy stuff - maybe not necessary, "dead" weight and another item to deal with.