View Single Post
Old 04-14-08, 02:37 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine
I don't believe society is safer by imprisoning those who commit these crimes. Without education, when the driver gets back on the road, the road becomes more unsafe. Punishment is not a long term solution to road safety for cyclist, it is a punitive measure.
So what do you suggest doing about those drivers who fail/refuse to comply with the educational message? Simply say "oh, that's alright son, carry on"? The simple fact is that "education" in and of itself doesn't work. If it had any inherent value, there would be no need for laws governing what people can and can't do on the road, because the "education" they go through when obtaining a licence would be sufficient. Clearly, this isn't the case, as can be attested by anyone who has stood on a street corner in this city for five minutes to count the red light runners.

And if law enforcement is applied properly, those who commit these crimes won't get back on the road in most cases, meaning that the roads will be safer without them. I also think that those who have been punished in the past will, in most cases, be more careful about re-offending if the punishment is sufficient. If not, there are always life sentences, car confiscations and permanent driving bans for those who don't learn the first time around.

That is all.