Old 04-14-08, 04:08 AM
damnable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Editorial...thoughts

Hi there,
I was just skimming through todays paper the Courier Mail and came across the editorial section.
There is an article written there which looks like I will have to type in because I can't find it online.

Share Road Responsibly
I drive a bus about 200 to 250km around Brisbane five or six days a week.
I always make sure that I give cyclists a wide berth.
Occasionally I receive a wave of thanks from a cyclist, but not very often.
However, the overtaking on the left, riding the wrong way in one-way streets, ignoring red lights, often with the legally required helmet hanging on the handlebar, does stretch the friendship with drivers.
Drivers don't hate cyclists, but they do resent their almost total disregard of the road rules, while reminding drivers of the cyclists' rights.

Published with this is the authors full name as well as their email address, which is a bit unusual.

Now I agree with the genearl gist of their statement except for the 'overtaking on the left' which is perfectly legal to do if you are a cyclist provided the vehicle you are overtaking is not turning left. Since the author left contact details, is it worth contacting them to point out their own lack of knowledge of the road rules pertaining to cyclists, especially since I agree with everything else he has said?