Old 04-14-08, 07:43 PM
Enthusiast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Aw, do I have to put a rear brake on my bike?

I'm doing the Louisiana Triathlon this Saturday, April 19th. I've done two less official tris before. I'd like to use my main bike, a 1972 Gitane, set up as a fg/ss. I've read USAT rules and they say that each wheel must have a brake. I also have a coaster brake wheel that I'm considering as a last resort if they dont allow me to go the fg/ss route. Its a Sachs Duomatic two-speed kickback coaster brake hub laced to a Mavic OP so it's a lot of fun but not quite as efficient as a fixed gear or singlespeed would be. I'm in contact with the race officials and USAT to see if I can get my bike waived as a "special" case since I obviously wont be in contention for the overall race. Anyone gotten such approval?

I also have a beautiful 1972 Masi with Campy NR components that I could ride but I'm not as comfortable on it as the Gitane and I'd be very nervous about getting it scratched up. Do bikes get scratched up in transition areas?

I guess this isn't so much a question thread as it is an "I tell you my story and see what the responses are" thread.