View Single Post
Old 04-15-08, 11:51 AM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, progress on the restoration has been proceeding rather smoothly (knock on wood). The bike was in excellent shape, so I haven't had to replace anything substantial at all. Other than the paint job, I was worried about the condition of the front springs, bottom bracket and headseat bearings. They all turned out to be in splendid condition. Just needed a little cleaning and greasing. I did have to persuade the cotters on the cranks with a hammer, so they'll need to be replaced.

Got the paint job all done as you can see. My vision for the bike is very much the original cruiser concept. Since so many of the parts were still good, I wanted it to stay "old school", but with a modern paint job for a contrast. Here is the result:

Here she is fully dressed...

Here she is on her day off....

Here, she's flashing her rear end...

She's just waiting for wheels and cabling. The wheels will be coming via the BikeForums International Parts Donor Program. The transplanted parts - rims, hubs, spokes and others, are remnants from LittlePixel's gorgeous Merc/Brompton fixie project. They'll find a nice home on this Moulton, who shall be named LP in honor of the donor.

I'm now very excited about building some nice, low spoke count wheels. That'll really provide the old/new contrast on this bike. It's going to be fun riding it when it's all done, I can't wait to see what the classic Moulton suspension feels like!

Last edited by SesameCrunch; 12-16-14 at 07:50 AM.