Old 04-15-08, 12:04 PM
SaiKaiTai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, man, I hate getting all excited about a buy...

...only to be disappointed when it arrives.
My new Speedplay Zeros landed on my door step yesterday. I don't know why, exactly, but I'm really excited about these pedals even after reading a gazillion comments about them being picky, finnicky, tempermental, fussy... whatever... But after being assured by Speedplay support that they do fit PI Vagabond R3s, I ordered a pair and started throwing the cleats onto my shoes lat night. The instructions are quite clear that sometimes the cleat doesn't quite fit the PI sole and can warp a bit so they actually provide a shim to mitigate that. But what I saw didn't look like a warping issue, more like the cleat base plate is just wider than my sole or maybe just misaligned. The rear, inside corner of the base plate sticks out by about 1/8" or so, so that the corner hangs out "free" and the base plate is not in full contact with my shoe. The curve looks good and Speedplay assures me that all I need to do is insert that shim (the lack of which doesn't appear to be the problem). To their credit, they asked me to take some pix and send them to them but it looks like I won't be riding these pedals tomorrow night as I'd hoped. I really don't want to send them back but it's looking like I need to either just stick with my A520 SPDs or look for another option. Phooey!