View Single Post
Old 04-15-08, 02:22 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by craptastico
I'm still not sure what the big deal about this ad was. They made a joke about cyclists in spandex, oh my god they must be anti-bike? Did they hurt us with their words?

If we can't laugh at ourselves a little bit we're doing something wrong. I personally find the superhero suits somewhat comical and the image of a guy wearing bright red lycra with a suit top definately made me chuckle.
You're one of the few who wasn't offended by it, from everything I've seen. The big stink that certain people were making was over the concept that cycling to work is something you're "reduced to doing", not something you make a decision to do.

I didn't see it until the day before they pulled it. I think it's funny. I also think the commercial with the guy with his suit and briefcase huffing his way up the hill on what appears to be a little kid's bike is funny.
Unless they show a commercial encouraging people to door me or run me off the road, I don't care if some insurace company pokes a bit of fun at cyclists to sell their automobile related products. I don't see it as any different than cyclists making broad-sweeping statements about "fat SUV drivers" when promoting their own choice in transportation.

BooHoo... State Farm picked on cyclists in a commercial. JeffS called it... some people need to HTFU.