Old 04-16-08, 07:57 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rollerdavem
Having been inspired by TrumpetMurph I went out and lashed the front wheel of Eagle to the hitch platform on the back of my van and gingerly drove the unlikely combo down to the street.

It was a windy day, but I had no idea!

Cody, the 70lb little guy who's staying with us stepped up on back and off we went, the same route and distance as last time but with the headwind on the way there it was really a struggle. At one point I couldn't keep moving fast enough to shift down and had to do a u-turn to get moving, shift, then loop back and keep on fighting the wind and the slight hill.

The return trip was MUCH faster.

That was a half mile, so I sat in my van and rested a while so I could go again and as I watched, the wind demonstrated it's strength by picking up Eagle in spite of the locked brakes and dragging it a foot and a half!

I was shocked and amazed.

Then I had my second go, and it was slow and tough. Cody stepped down and it went a little quicker.

I got to my turnaround spot and rested, and Cody suggested we race back to the van.

Heheheheheh.

That little fella is pretty funny. I snapped a pic of the van from where I was sitting and said 'ready, set, GO!'

I gave him a little headstart, and then with the wind at my back, downhill, with the advantage of gearing on my side I took a pic of him from the van.

As for the ride itself, I think I might need to adjust the gearing a tad, possibly cable stretch, but it wasn't acting very well. Oh well, I'll give the barrel adjuster a twist if it seems loose when I check it.

Burning calves and ankles again, it burns up the outside of my calves and my feet are hard to keep positioned correctly on the pedals. My heels hit the crank a time or two.

I will definitely have to get kneesavers.

So there it is, my ride for the day.

RD
Wind can be FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN, no seriously, Yesterday I headed out the door, straight into a 25km/h head wind, dropped down a few gears, and fought it, barely hit 15km/h, turned at the end of the loop, cranked it up, and saw 35km/h on the 'puter before I had to slow down for a 4-way stop

As a relatively new rider, don't be afraid of the granny ring, especially on a trike, who cares if you go 1MPH, you might want to attach a slow moving vehicle sign to the back, and a flashing rear light.