Old 04-16-08, 10:23 AM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Endovrend
Interesting.... I have just ordered the same rack to put on my '83 Expedition and was wondering how well it would fit. I'm curious as to how you went about bending the lower rods? Did you mount it and then use the leverage of the rack to bend them until the rack was level?
Endovrend
Since it was sloping down toward the back of the rack I bent the lower rods down and forward about 3/4 inch to get it to level out. I took the rack off and had it standing on the floor with the lower welds supported by the floor. I slid a piece of copper tubing about 10" long over the rod and just pulled it forward. It actually moves pretty easily so go easy at first. The paint finish will flake off so you will probably need to touch it up if you have a black rack.

I also bought a couple of 3/4 inch nylon bushings at the hardware store and cut a little off, to fill the space you'll have between the rack and your mid fork eyelets.

xiaodidi - Since I have mid fork eyelets I bolted the rack directly and avoided clamps but I guess another option for me would be to use a pair of clamps higher on the fork for stability - thanks for the idea.