Old 04-16-08, 05:34 PM
Endovrend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jannd Racks / Front Basket

Zebede:

Thanks for that mounting plate idea. That seems like a good solution and not too hard to do with rudimentary tools and my limited skills. I think I will try that.

One thing I am now noticing is that the Jandd Extreme seems to mount up about an inch or two further forward than the old Blackburn Lowrider that I have..... I guess this will be putting the weight further forward relative to the steering axis.... Frankly this seems like a bad idea, handling-wise..... Any comments?

By the way, the real reason I want to have the front shelf is so I can mount a wire basket with bungee netting there. Like the smaller version of this: http://www.rivbike.com/products/list...product=20-102 I have a similar set up on my town bike and I'll tell you what.... once you try this you cannot live without it..... In many ways it is better than a handlebar bag. I am surprised that you don't see more people using them.....

As I see it advantages include:

1. The weight is lower than a handlebar bag. (You could still have a small bar bag with it).
2. You can dry out stuff there under the bungee netting.... think wet swimming suit, flyfishing waders, towels, wet rain jacket, sweaty shirt after a long climb, etc.
3. Perfect for "temporary overflow" conditions like when you buy a bunch of food / beer at the end of the day and are just riding to your campsite to consume it all...... After it is gone, the basket, when empty, is a lot more aerodynamic than a handlebar bag.
4. Provides an excellent in-camp dish drying rack!
5. You can have a portable evaporative cooler.... wrap your foodstuffs in a towel that you occasionally drip water onto.
6. Gives you that *authentic* bike hobo look which we all want to have .....