View Single Post
Old 04-16-08, 11:26 PM
Ov3rTheHill
Ov3rTheHill

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR, Dahon Boardwalk, Xtracycle conversion of comfort bike, Rans Stratus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thanks for your welcomes! My fam and I will be at the charity ride leaving Union Station this Saturday, 9 AM. We're sold on foldies. I'm OTH because... well, 50 is the newest 30 and I'm over 50... because the biggest social rides in SoCalif (and beautiful Union Station) are on the other side of the Santa Monica Mountains from the SF Valley... and because it sure feels great to make it over any hill, be it Sepulveda, Cahuenga or the big 50...

Upsides to the SRAM "Dual Drive" combo of geared hub plus 8 speed derailleur on the Dahon Speed TR:
* Huge gear range (21 to 114 gear inches!)
* Big gear steps (33% jumps) on the hub gear
* Hub gear can be upshifetd without easing off pedal power
* Hub gear can be downshifted at a stoplight

I may have found a downside -- that if I ride it through a BB-deep flooded intersection then a month later degrease the cogs and chain, maybe I get a degreased hub gear too? I'll head for the Bicycle Mechanics forum on that one when I get the details composed.

BF looks to be an amazing resource because of you good folks who contribute so much meaningful info. Hope I can do my part in that respect.

Regards to all,

OTH